"Feed grade" vs "Food grade" Diatomaceous Earth

Chieftain

Songster
10 Years
Dec 21, 2009
please weigh in on a slightly confusing subject, and help us sort this out.

I went to my feed store today, and requested a bag of DE for my chickens. This is what they produced:

movingday002.jpg

This is a very fine, almost talcum, powder and is apparently used for a range of livestock.

The confusion arises in another thread from BYCers who report never haveing seen DE that is brown, and they refer to their white "Food Grade" DE.

Question 1: What is the difference, if any, between "Food Grade" and "Feed grade" DE? Would that account for the color difference??

Question 2: Is either one of these products preferable over the other, or are they both equally good for chooks??

Question 3: Is there a BYC primer on DE available? If so, could it be stickied and linked on this thread too?? If not, can we create one?

Thanx!

wink.png

Since the introduction of DE to the world of animal owners I am sure a company just decided to "tune" into the market and provide a DE that is of quality for livestock. One can "feed" white DE as well and many animal owners do just that.

Personally I just think it is a marketing stategy and the stuff is manufactured as color added. Perhaps you could call the company and ask just such a question ?

15239_gg.jpg

I'm new at this and I was hoping someone knew the difference here.

As I understand the terms, "Food Grade" is suitable for human consumption. "Feed Grade" is suitable for consumption by livestock. I was not aware of a real use for "Food Grade" DE as a supplement or ingredient for anything, so I question the use of the term "Food Grade DE". I'm not sure the manufacturer would know the difference either since the term originated here at BYC.

The only other DE I know is the stuff we have used to control slugs for years. It is essentially whole diatoms, and it's like spreading broken glass on slugs. That's also why you don't want to breathe the stuff because it does the same thing to your lungs. But that stuff is "Agricultural grade DE and not suitable for livestock.

It gets very confusing...

hmm.png

This reply may clarify, or it may not. I don't have my chickens yet...but I DO have DE for precisely the same BUG reason. I use it for earwigs (ick) and other little buggers I want to keep away. However, I believe that my DE has insecticide in it. Once I can trudge through the 2+ feet of snow to the shed...I'll update. BTW, I've watched your progress on your coop--it's very nice!
Do you think it matters if it's "food grade DE" if it's not going into the feed?

Quote:
I believe feed grade and food grade are the same thing. (I looked both up)

Look at this website it gives a lot info on food grade DE and its uses. http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/defaq.html

The
food grade is for Agriculture use. And I am not sure that BYC came up with the term of Food Grade DE. It has been around for a very long time.

(some more info on it from) http://www.dirtworks.net/Diatomaceous-Earth.html

Food
Grade Diatomaceous Earth

Perma-Guard Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth is totally organic and safe. It contains less than 1% percent of Crystal & Silicon. Some of the uses for Diatomaceous Earth include; household pets, gardens, flower beds, field crops, grain storage, and livestock feeding. Diatomaceous Earth is Mother Nature's product with no harm to the environment, pets or to people. Diatomaceous Earth is not an earth, it is the fossilized remains of microscopic shells created by one celled plants called DIATOMS. Diatomaceous Earth kills by physical action, not chemical, by puncturing the insect’s exoskeleton and absorbing its body fluids, thus posing no harm to warm-blooded life. Moreover, on any surface, these natural pesticide products have a remarkable repellency factor. As long as it is present, insects tend to stay away, making a serious infestation unlikely. Also, the more it is used, the more an environment is created that tends to make insects feel unwelcome.

Household:
Use Diatomaceous Earth for control of roaches, silverfish, ants, bedbugs, flies, fleas, box elder bugs, scorpions, crickets, and many others. Diatomaceous Earth can be used in and around the home, yard, animal housing, etc.

Pets:
Our best friends come in all shapes and sizes. Protect them with Diatomaceous Earth. When lightly rubbed into their coats it is very effective against fleas, ticks, lice, and other pests on pet dogs, cats, and their premises. It can also be used as an organic wormer and will kill any worms or parasites the pets may have. When using as a de-wormer mix the Diatomaceous Earth into your pets food. Mix well into kibble and wet food. Ask your vet how much for your size pet.
Cats – 1 teaspoon/day
Kittens – ½ teaspoon/ day
Dogs – 100lbs+ -2 tablespoons/ day
50 – 100 lbs – 1 tablespoon/ day
under 50lbs – 2 teaspoons/ day
Minidogs – 1 teaspoon/ day

Plants:
For control of aphids, white fly, beetles, loopers, mites, leaf hoppers, and others. Use Diatomaceous Earth inside your home, greenhouse or outdoors on fruits, vegetables, flowers, grains and grass, up to and including day of harvest. For dry application of Diatomaceous Earth use a duster and cover entire plant, apply to both top and bottom of leaf. For young plants, as little as two pounds per acre may be adequate. For larger plants, five lbs per acre is probably sufficient. Diatomaceous Earth will need reapplication after a rain. Applies best when there is dew or after a light rain. It is a long lasting, effective powder. The insects can not build up resistance.

Livestock:
All livestock, Horses, Cows, Pigs, Sheep, Goats, Rabbits, Chickens and others will benefit from the use of Diatomaceous Earth. It is completely safe and nontoxic. Some of the benefits are; Control of fleas and ticks, stimulates basic metabolism, converts feed better, reduces odor and moisture in barns and stalls, results in better coat and hoof condition, keeps fly larvae from developing in manure, noticeably reducing the fly population, reduces annual vet bills, controls worms and internal parasites without chemicals, better egg production, stronger eggs, and reduces overall animal stress. Diatomaceous Earth can be mixed right in with the animals feed. Cows/Horses get 1-2 oz per day, Sheep/Goats/Hogs get 1/2 oz per day, For Chickens and other livestock you need to weight the feed and add 2% of that weight in Diatomaceous Earth. Your livestock will also get the benefit of over 14 trace minerals that make up Diatomaceous Earth.

Stored Grain:
Just add 7-10 lbs. of Diatomaceous Earth to each ton of grain as it is conveyed into the storage. When added to grain, Diatomaceous Earth killed the bugs that were present, and protected the grain from further invasions.
Bugs could not become immune and they were killed by physical action, not chemical.

When using diatomaceous earth regularly and/or in large amounts, wear a dust mask, gloves and a good set of goggles.

Quote:
I believe feed grade and food grade are the same thing. (I looked both up)

Look at this website it gives a lot info on food grade DE and its uses. http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/defaq.html

The
food grade is for Agriculture use. And I am not sure that BYC came up with the term of Food Grade DE. It has been around for a very long time.

(some more info on it from) http://www.dirtworks.net/Diatomaceous-Earth.html

Food
Grade Diatomaceous Earth

Perma-Guard Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth is totally organic and safe. It contains less than 1% percent of Crystal & Silicon. Some of the uses for Diatomaceous Earth include; household pets, gardens, flower beds, field crops, grain storage, and livestock feeding. Diatomaceous Earth is Mother Nature's product with no harm to the environment, pets or to people. Diatomaceous Earth is not an earth, it is the fossilized remains of microscopic shells created by one celled plants called DIATOMS. Diatomaceous Earth kills by physical action, not chemical, by puncturing the insect’s exoskeleton and absorbing its body fluids, thus posing no harm to warm-blooded life. Moreover, on any surface, these natural pesticide products have a remarkable repellency factor. As long as it is present, insects tend to stay away, making a serious infestation unlikely. Also, the more it is used, the more an environment is created that tends to make insects feel unwelcome.

Household:
Use Diatomaceous Earth for control of roaches, silverfish, ants, bedbugs, flies, fleas, box elder bugs, scorpions, crickets, and many others. Diatomaceous Earth can be used in and around the home, yard, animal housing, etc.

Pets:
Our best friends come in all shapes and sizes. Protect them with Diatomaceous Earth. When lightly rubbed into their coats it is very effective against fleas, ticks, lice, and other pests on pet dogs, cats, and their premises. It can also be used as an organic wormer and will kill any worms or parasites the pets may have. When using as a de-wormer mix the Diatomaceous Earth into your pets food. Mix well into kibble and wet food. Ask your vet how much for your size pet.
Cats – 1 teaspoon/day
Kittens – ½ teaspoon/ day
Dogs – 100lbs+ -2 tablespoons/ day
50 – 100 lbs – 1 tablespoon/ day
under 50lbs – 2 teaspoons/ day
Minidogs – 1 teaspoon/ day

Plants:
For control of aphids, white fly, beetles, loopers, mites, leaf hoppers, and others. Use Diatomaceous Earth inside your home, greenhouse or outdoors on fruits, vegetables, flowers, grains and grass, up to and including day of harvest. For dry application of Diatomaceous Earth use a duster and cover entire plant, apply to both top and bottom of leaf. For young plants, as little as two pounds per acre may be adequate. For larger plants, five lbs per acre is probably sufficient. Diatomaceous Earth will need reapplication after a rain. Applies best when there is dew or after a light rain. It is a long lasting, effective powder. The insects can not build up resistance.

Livestock:
All livestock, Horses, Cows, Pigs, Sheep, Goats, Rabbits, Chickens and others will benefit from the use of Diatomaceous Earth. It is completely safe and nontoxic. Some of the benefits are; Control of fleas and ticks, stimulates basic metabolism, converts feed better, reduces odor and moisture in barns and stalls, results in better coat and hoof condition, keeps fly larvae from developing in manure, noticeably reducing the fly population, reduces annual vet bills, controls worms and internal parasites without chemicals, better egg production, stronger eggs, and reduces overall animal stress. Diatomaceous Earth can be mixed right in with the animals feed. Cows/Horses get 1-2 oz per day, Sheep/Goats/Hogs get 1/2 oz per day, For Chickens and other livestock you need to weight the feed and add 2% of that weight in Diatomaceous Earth. Your livestock will also get the benefit of over 14 trace minerals that make up Diatomaceous Earth.

Stored Grain:
Just add 7-10 lbs. of Diatomaceous Earth to each ton of grain as it is conveyed into the storage. When added to grain, Diatomaceous Earth killed the bugs that were present, and protected the grain from further invasions.
Bugs could not become immune and they were killed by physical action, not chemical.

When using diatomaceous earth regularly and/or in large amounts, wear a dust mask, gloves and a good set of goggles.

Very nice summary on D.E. One thing that bothers me is I have heard it is bad for bees. I have seen bees sleep on my plants (mostly lavender) and end up on the soil where I could have composted coop waste that containes D.E.

Anyone, do you think it is residual and can hurt bees? Obviously better than some pestisides in the garden, but how residual is the D.E.?

Thank you for all your good information!

I was not aware of a real use for "Food Grade" DE as a supplement or ingredient for anything, so I question the use of the term "Food Grade DE

The ONLY reason it's given a "Food grade" rating is because it is used to kill insects in grain that is later used for human consumption, and there's no way ro remove it.

The "summary" of all the supposed uses for DE is very misleading.

There is NO scientific evidence that ingesting DE has any benefits at all, and the only places promoting such use conveniently happen to sell it too

The only PROVEN use for DE is as an insecticide and drying agent.
Dont waste your money if you think it will help treat internal parasites​

That product is brown because it is a mix of DE and bentonite, a natural clay.

Edited to add: I found out that it's mixed like that because it's mined like that, from a naturally occurring deposit that is 65% DE and 35% bentonite. It is used as an anti-caking agent in feed, but with the clay in it I'd think that it would make a good litter amendment, being able to absorb any moist spots.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom